Friday, June 24, 2011

Writer's 'blah' not writer's block



I don't suffer from Writer's Block and never have. I am not sure if that is a good or a bad thing. But I do suffer at times from Writer's Blah! where while I can think of a lot to say and would have thousands of words running away from me should I sit down to write, I find I simply cannot be bothered sitting down to write nor putting fingers to the keys.


I suppose it really is Writer's Block but for me it is just a don't care, can't be bothered, what's the point feeling which stops me before I start. It doesn't last for long but it is real all the same. Would this happen if I were published and actually had more reasons to write rather then the impetus which comes from within? I honestly don't know. It probably isn't important. And perhaps not because even writing on various poetry blogs where I know someone will read me and therefore I am, in a sense, published, I still sometimes find myself in Writer's Blah from time to time!

I am not compelled to write but I seem somehow driven to write. Or is that the same thing? I don't think so. It isn't an addiction because I can go for weeks or months without writing and not even think about it, but, when I have the opportunity I just feel I must somehow put words onto white and create some sort of 'story.' I think being a story-teller is in the genes. If it is within then it will push itself in some way to be without. And perhaps the times when the world is wordless are those times when a hermetic process is at work... time out, time off, time without words.

Writing, as opposed to painting, may be less satisfactory in that without publication one's efforts remain rather hidden, but on the other hand it is vastly cheaper as a creative pursuit and one never runs out of 'hanging space.' Like a lot of things in life, there are positives and negatives in the great tradition of: You never get it all!

Clearly this is not a Writer's Blah moment because I am putting words to white and saying something with them whether it is read or not. Perhaps that is enough - if everything which is created remains forever somewhere in eternity or on the Akashic Record, then the act of creation is all that matters.

It's a satisfying enough thought anyway. 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home